Friday, March 8, 2013

Owning vs Renting

The first thing people notice when they walk into my apartment is how clean it is (because I spent the last day and a half cleaning it knowing full well that people would be coming over) (please don't surprise visit me with at least a text or phone call.  You don't know what you'll be walking into!).  The second thing they notice is my DVD collection.  It's quite expansive and people always seem surprised that I have so many movies and TV shows in this day and age where you can rent movies for a dollar, or have them on demand, or watching Netflix and Hulu at the click of a remote.  Don't get me wrong, I love my Netflix, and I'm a big fan of Hulu as well.  Anything that lets me watch TV continuously I have no issue with.  However, I love to own DVDs of my favorite shows and movies, because there's so much more you can learn when you watch them over and over again.  Plus have you SEEN blooper reels?  They're hilarious!  And interviews, and commentary and extras.  I'm a big fan of the extras.  For example, did you know that Alex O'Loughlin is Australian?  I didn't until I watched the first season of Hawaii 5-O with commentary.  And now, as some of you who have read my other posts or know me know, I am newly (sorta) obsessed with three shows: Doctor Who, Sherlock, and most recently Supernatural.  However, I don't own any of the seasons.  Like at all.  It's been purely Netflix for these bad boys, and I think that's a shame.  Because I want to hear Christopher Eccleston's thoughts on his time as the doctor, and I want to listen to Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman talk about their bromance, and I NEED to see Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki with their bloopers because frankly, those two are just flipping hilarious.  This is why I need to own, not for the shows themselves, but for the extras. I neeeeeed the extras.    

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3/11/2013

    Haha I'm so glad I'm not alone on the "hoping people call or text before they come over so I can clean" front.

    I would like to own instead of rent for the following reasons:
    - No pot smoke coming up from the floor below unless I'm the one choosing to do it.
    - I can paint the walls whenever I want without asking permission from someone who doesn't live with me.
    - Permanent crafting room/storage. I have a crap ton of supplies and yarn and our current situation isn't conducive to my wish for proper storage and display.

    ReplyDelete