Saturday, October 5, 2013

Different Strokes

I was having a conversation with a friend of mine the other day, and this friend is directly affected by the furlough.  Both she and her husband are in fact.  So we were talking about how ridiculous the whole thing is, and I made a comment about the awful state of the union, and how I don't know how we can get back.  She said if everything melted down and it became a survival of the fittest.  That's the only way this mess could be fixed.  That struck me as extreme measures.  Not to mention callous and cruel.  The Hunger Games was a book series, not real life.  Not to mention how would you define "fittest"?  Would it be those who have been trained to fight?  Would it be those who have the best survival instincts?  Because I'm pretty sure that's a great way to return to animal instincts and even more general chaos.  What about those who are amazing people who work their asses off every single day just to barely make a living?  Good people who are just trying to live their lives?  Would they be wiped off the slate along with those who are considered "weak"?  What about the elderly, and the sick?  What about the mentally and the physically disable?  Would they be considered weak?  Would they not survive? What about the children?  Why would you wish for a world where every single day is a battle? I don't understand.  I don't have a solution, but I do know that the fall of western civilization is NOT the answer.  Let's pretend we're decent humans, shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment