Saturday, August 10, 2013

Not from Around Here, Are Ya?

I have several people in my life who are not originally from TX.  Specifically my brothers-in-law and my best friend's husband.  They grew up in different states, and as you may or may not know, Texans, well we're a breed unto ourselves.  But their glaring differences don't really make an appearance until it comes to food.  I'm sure it comes out in other things, but really food is a big thing.  And I've noticed it recently.  So here are several ways Texans and other people differ in food choices.

1. Other people sometimes prefer ice cream that IS NOT BLUEBELL!  I know, I KNOW!  It's amazing and shocking.  BUT my brother-in-law who grew up in Kansas would rather have Breyer's than Bluebell.  I think he's crazy, but then again, I grew up with the stuff.

2. THEY DON'T ALWAYS WANT TACOS.  So last Saturday, my friend Allison and I were relaxing on her couch, trying to decide what food we wanted to send her husband (who is from Washington State) out for.  We had driven past Rusty's Tacos on our way home from errands, and tacos sounded delicious.  Dan completely shut us down.  APPARENTLY, he has to be "in the mood" for tacos.  Tacos are a staple food group for Texans.  We eat them for breakfast, we eat them for lunch, and we eat them for dinner. And sometimes, we eat them for EVERY MEAL!  I know!! It's so strange to me that tacos don't always sound good to people.

3. They know different fast food restaurants than we do!  Seriously.  My brother-in-law from West Virginia knows all these different places than I do!  I'm a little jealous.  And I will no longer be eating at places I can have in TX when I go out of state.

What food differences do you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment