Monday, July 15, 2013

Sadness, or How do Celebrities Find Out When Their Friends Died?

For those of you who don't know,  I used to watch Glee a lot. The whole idea of people bursting out into song in the middle of their lives was awesome to me, especially when some of the actors were people I knew from Broadway.  So I was invested in the show.  But then the storyline got too stupid for me, even the songs couldn't make up for it.  I still had a soft spot in my heart for the Glee kids though.  So when I heard yesterday that Cory Monteith passed away, it was so heart wrenching for me.  I found out from my mom, who read about it online.  I follow a lot of the actors from Glee on Twitter and several have tweeted about it, not to mention other celebrities I follow.  But it got me thinking, how do they find out?

When my friend died in October, I found out first from my mom, then one of my friends called, then my brother, and it just went on from there.  I then made calls to people who knew him that I didn't want finding out from like Facebook or something like that.  So that's how a normal non famous person spreads the news of grief.  But what about when the person who dies is a famous person and their death is immediately spread all over the world?  Do their friends have to find out from social media?  Or do you think that people they know (friends, family, the like) quickly spread the word to the closest people so, like my friends, they don't have to find out about the death of a loved one from the media?  I hope that's what happens, because I can only imagine finding out about a death of a friend from a tabloid or a news site.  RIP Finn, you will be missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment