Thursday, May 30, 2013

Three Words Game - Ribbon, Thumbs Up, Woman of Mystery

As I posted yesterday, I took part in Court of Baking in My Bathing Suit's game of Three Words.  She gave me three random words and I had to incorporate them into a short story.  While you can still find the story on her site (link above), I thought I'd include it here as well, so I always have it.

I tightened the ribbon on the gift.  Usually I'm quite calm about giving presents to people; I tend to have a knack of knowing exactly what they want.  But this one, this one was very special.  This present would either make or break a couple of huge relationships.  I’d either get a gigantic thumbs up or be pushed back to the very back of their address book.  With a deep breath, I got out of my car and weaved my way into the restaurant.  It was crowded and took me a minute to find my friends.  Finally I reached them, and with the greetings of old friends, I handed over the important package and made my way to an empty seat. 

The night went on, filled with great conversation, food and drinks.  My dinner companions were mainly known to me, except for one at the end.  We weren’t close enough to talk but I caught him looking at me as I looked at him.  I’m not known as a woman of mystery, but his surreptitious glances made me feel sexy and enigmatic.  But right as I relaxed into the feeling, it was present time.   I hate when people open presents in public, especially when it was an important present as this one.  They made their way through the pile of brightly wrapped boxes and bags, oohing and aahing over each one.  Finally they made it to mine.   I held my breath as they unwrapped the painting.  There was a tense moment as they stared at the canvas.  Then she looked at me with tears in her eyes.  “It’s perfect.”  And with that my night was made.  I blushed and ducked my head as every head turned towards me.  The stranger at the end of the table raised his glass to me in a silent salute.  I released my breath and smiled shyly.  Another excellent present choice by me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment