Thursday, September 5, 2013

How do Our Bodies Work?

That seems to be a slightly menacing title, but this illness which has been lingering has made me wonder.  How do our bodies work?  What's going on inside of me that is making me feel better then worse then better again?  Should I have become a nurse or doctor?  Because this stuff kinda fascinates me.   Here's what I found out when I googled my questions.

-What makes me congested?: well, the first page is all about how ALCOHOL makes you congested.  Thanks Google, you're helpful.  Let's try again.

-What causes congestion?: oh Wiki, you always help me out.  Nasal congestion is usually due to membranes lining the nose becoming swollen from inflamed blood vessels.

- What is a runny nose?: it's called rhinorrhea and is where the nasal cavity is filled with a significant amount of mucous fluid.

-  Why do I get lightheaded when I'm trying to breathe through a stuffy nose?: Lightheadedness is caused by a lack of oxygen to the brain.  When your nasal passages are congested, less oxygen can get into your body, and into your brain, causing you to feel lightheaded or dizzy.  This is also why when you're sick and have been lying down for a long while, you feel weak and dizzy.

-What is a cough?: a cough is a sudden reflex used to help clear the large breathing passages from any kind of foreign object or irritants.

-When I have a cold, how does my body fight it?: by an immune response.  Our bodies use the antigens, or the invading foreign particles to create identical antibodies which immobilize the antigens.  They have to match exactly in order to be stopped.  Our bodies then remember the virus pattern in case it ever invades again.  It takes about a week to ten days for our bodies to create cells which match the virus precisely, sometimes longer, sometimes faster.

Isn't it fun to learn?

All answers were found on wikipedia, or on wiki.answers.com and then paraphrased by me

No comments:

Post a Comment