Wednesday, December 5, 2012

An Open Letter

Dear World,

Hi there.  How's it going?  Oh I'm all right, but I have a little complaint for you.   So I know it's getting to be Christmas time, with all the love and the joy and the people.  And trust me, I am one hundred and fifty percent behind all of that, plus so much more.  I am a Christmas fiend.  I mean my house was decorated the week before Thanksgiving for crying out loud!   However, this year is different than others have been in the past.  I've lost loved ones before Christmases before, and it's always hard.  Slightly less hard when you think about the fact that the loved ones were old and happy to go.  This year, I've not only lost a loved one, but I've lost a person who was something to me no one else can be.  And I'm all right, truly I am.  On a normal day, I can handle it no sweat.  It gets easier by each day. But world, you magical place full of miracles and love, you are not making it any easier.  In fact, with all this Christmassy stuff, you're making it downright difficult to go on with a normal existence.  Almost every non-religious Christmas carol makes me break down in tears.   I can't even BEGIN to listen to Josh Groban's "I'll Be Home for Christmas".  Just the opening chords bring me to tears.  Today I found myself crying at not one but TWO versions of Mariah Carey's "All I  Want for Christmas is You", and one of them included Jimmy Fallon playing a kazoo.  So I'm just asking a tiny favor, world.  Can you knock off some of the over the top sweetness?  If it's this hard for me, I can only imagine what it's like for others.  It would save me and my heart a lot of trouble, and it would make my friends and family worry about me less.  Thanks so much, I really appreciate it.  I do love you world, and I believe in all the sappy gooey utterly wonderful stuff you're serving up.  I just can't handle all of it right now.  I know you understand.  Thanks again world, and oh Merry Christmas!

Love, Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment