Monday, February 25, 2013

Sadness (For Others)

For the most part, I'm a pretty easy going kid.  Sure I've got a couple of hot button topics (the Red Sox, Josh Groban, my religion), but usually I can take other people's opinions with a grain of understanding.  Do not judge, lest you be judged, right?  I wasn't always this easy going person though.  There was a time in the not so distant past where I would not only judge if you had a different opinion than mine, I would argue and try to convince you of the rightness of my point.  This was never about important matters like politics, or environmental issues. I don't know nearly enough for that kind of conversation.  Oh no, this girl liked to argue the point of entertainment, movies, music, books and the like.  I'm nothing if not consistent.  However, in the past couple of years, I've learned to accept others' opinions, and now instead of a deep anger or flash of dislike about certain people, I just feel a sadness for those who don't feel as I do.  Let me give you an example. 

I went to brunch yesterday with my friend who just moved to town and his fiancee.  She told me about their night, how she had fallen asleep on the floor, because they (my friend and his dad) were watching (and I quote) "a boring movie".  My friend looked at me and said "We were watching Iron Man."  In my head, I was screaming "HOW IS IRON MAN A BORING MOVIE?! IT'S ESSENTIALLY A MOVIE ABOUT ROBERT DOWNEY JR. BEING ROBERT DOWNEY JR!!" but my mouth said "You think Iron Man is a boring movie?  That is so sad for you!"  See look at that.  Personal growth.  I was able to realize that by deciding that something (which is so obviously awesome) is "boring", she was shutting herself off from the greatness that she could have experienced, and that is sad!  Just like it's sad when people don't enjoy the same sort of humor I do, or I guess in the other direction, it could be sad for others that I don't like stupid things.  I'll tell you what, it saves more friendships than trying to convince people that no, Elizabethtown is really an amazing movie, and I don't care if it makes you depressed :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment